Norwegian Sky Sizzles Following Fresh Summer Makeover

Courtesy of Norwegian Cruise Line.

sky_ship_aerial88_web Norwegian Cruise Line today announced that Norwegian Sky underwent a complete refurbishment focused on enhancing the guest experience while the 2,002-passenger ship was in dry dock last month in Freeport, Bahamas. The ship, which entered the Miami short cruise market approximately one year ago, received enhancements to its public areas, staterooms and suites, as well as the addition of three new staterooms.

pal_aloha_atriumNorwegian Sky has been in high demand since we brought her to Miami to sail three and four-day Bahamas cruises last year; and therefore we wanted to give her a beautiful new look for the summer season and beyond,” said Kevin Sheehan, Norwegian Cruise Line chief executive officer. “The ship is the perfect getaway as it offers great value for money for families, friends and couples alike looking to relax and escape the everyday.”

Norwegian Sky total refurbishment includes:

• Reupholstering all 1,000 seats in the Stardust Theater;
  • Major updates to 14 suites which received new wallpaper, new marble tiles in the showers and tubs and refinishing all wood work including the teak around the whirlpools on the suite balconies;
  • Improvements to Dazzles Bar and Nightclub, including refinishing of the dance floor; reupholstering of the club’s chairs and bar stools and removal of banquette seating creating additional room on the dance floor;
  • New upholstery to all of the seating in the Atrium;
  • Installation of new food stations in the Garden Café, Norwegian’s signature action station restaurant, along with refurbishment of Il Adagio, the ship’s Italian restaurant;
  • The addition of three new staterooms;
  • Repainting of the colorful murals surrounding the pool area.

Norwegian Sky departs Miami on Mondays ncl-100x100-private-islandsailing four-day Bahamas cruises with full-day stops in Grand Bahama Island, Nassau and Great Stirrup Cay, Norwegian’s private island in the Bahamas. On Fridays, the ship sails a weekend getaway three-day Bahamas itinerary, departing Miami at 5 p.m. with all-day stops in Nassau and Great Stirrup Cay, returning to Miami at 7 a.m. on Monday mornings.

pal_blue_hawaii Norwegian Sky has more than 240 balcony staterooms, a choice of six different restaurants, 10 bars and lounges, multiple entertainment venues, a luxurious spa, two pools, extensive children’s facilities, a sports deck and a variety of spacious public rooms.

1 Isaac Gallegos { 07.23.09 at 12:03 pm }

All the refurbishing you can do to this ship will NOT make it a better ship if you don’t do something about the unfriendly and unhelpful crew. I took a trip on this ship back in Feb and had the worst experience when dealing with the crew and because of this I choose not to sail with NCL

2 Mary Westgate { 07.24.09 at 8:17 am }

Ship looks beautiful. I am currently working on finding a Cruise in Nov, will be my 9th NCL cruise and I am so looking forward to this next one

3 Roagreeribe { 08.18.09 at 5:59 pm }

yeh right.. great post, Thank You

4 phil j { 08.21.09 at 3:01 pm }

I have taken 7 cruises and always looked forward to great food and relaxation BUT my cruise on NCL (nickel and Dime cruise line) was neither and overall the worst ever by far.
let me list the the issues:
food quality was low in general:
too much salt on most dishes
orange juice was watered down 2 to one
never had a good piece of meet [filet whats that?]
same boring sauce on most dishes
desert pies looked good but were all cornstarch and gelatin blah!
cookies dry and tasteless
softserve icecream was rationed out by the the ice creeam nahtzee
Yes we found the staff argumentative every time we had an issue, absolutely no clue what customer service is, this is obviously indicative of the owner managemnt philosophy, poop flows down hill….
ship was too crowded
cruising with NCL is like flying coach, you get nickel and dimed for everything and its not the least but relaxing
even cabin service was poor had to get my own ice everyday
room service very slow and they charge extra for anything decent
FREESTYLE cruising is a scam!!! they make it difficult to get the free meals you already paid for, so if you dont want to wait or want better food, they are happy to charge you $25 per plate for better meals and no 45 minute waits…..
The only time you could get service is when you wanted to pay $8++ for an overpriced wateredown drink…
the cruise cost double what i paid for Carnival and was ten times worse.
the all night cafe was usually backed up when you needed it most
never had such a hard time finding food on a cruise
the casino was more of a rip than usual
this cruise line is all about maximizing profits, this experience certainly was not a break from the work environment…
watch out for the baggage checking nahtzees, they xray all the bags and confiscate all bags that look like thye have booze in them
Holland America, Princess and Celebrity are much much much better cruise lines

to be objective: good things about our cruise:
the ship didnt sink or burn
this is the only cruise i ever lost weight on [i was hungry often, i usually gain 7-10 pounds]
an NCL cruise will make the food you served at your wedding seem good
one comedian juggler from vietnam was entertaining though hard to understand
the kids pool was a nice touch ( must have been a mistake)

5 phil j { 08.21.09 at 3:02 pm }

i am not exaggerating one bit!

6 cruiseman forever { 08.26.09 at 10:09 am }

I’ve been on many cruises, ranging from entry level ships, right up through 6 star lines. I’ve been around the world several times and have experienced many different levels of service. Having been on NCL myself, I refuse to believe it was anywhere near as bad as philj states.

We all pay good money for our vacations, and we all have the highest expectations, but let’s be realistic. Ever notice how people who complain about cruises with such vigor do so under the illusion that they are a seasoned foodie? Even the most average cruise ship offers food and service that is 1000 times better than the Hamburger Helper and Stouffers we all eat at home. It’s not reasonable or fair to use a blog like this as a soapbox to complain about something that doesn’t warrant complaints. Was philj’s experience ideal, probably not, however there are different ships for everyone. However it’s up to each of us to pick the one that fits. Obviously the last poster didn’t want freestyle cruising. Perhaps they should have paid 6x more for a luxury line. I for one think being able to vacation without a schedule is brilliant! I’ve been on NCL and was impressed be the flexibility.

You can’t buy NCL and expect Silversea. I didn’t buy my Toyota and go online complaining that it wasn’t a BMW.

7 cruiseman forever { 08.26.09 at 10:21 am }

Another few points….

Thank goodness NCL is being careful with people bags. I for one, wouldn’t board a ship where this was not the case. (BTW: “nahtzee” is spelled “Nazi”)

How exactly was the casino a “rip”. Or were you just unlucky? Its gambling after all.

“Orange juice watered down 2 to 1?” Did you interview the kitchen staff?

Holland, Princess, and Celebrity are also a completly different class of ship. See above post…..

Don’t punish NCL cruise line for your lack of ability to choose a product that suits your needs. Next time pay 12 grand for luxury, and I’m sure you will have only half the complaints.

8 Juan { 05.07.10 at 1:45 pm }

I just take a cruise whit NCL on this ship, Thanks GOD I did not read all these crap. Cruise was excellent!!!! I did not notice the Orange juice tradegy… I went with my wife… Beach on Bahamas was just a fantasy…. With $5 cold beer served while we were on the water……
by the way I should lost weight on this cruise (my wife too).

Thanks

9 kddjr { 03.09.11 at 4:26 pm }

I went on the Sky last November and it was great…. First of they really don’t sean the food because of the different Nationalities on board, so I don;t where too much salt came from. The food was good enough for it to there when you wanted to eat and not by some schedule. $8.00 drinks had me feeling great when I left the bar, don’t know about the watered down drinks.. I was actually ok with getting my own ice, but as I was walking out of my room with the ice bucket, they stopped me and asked me if I wanted them to get it for me… the staff was always helpful.. Nickel and Dime, maybe, but you have the right to say no when you’er not obligated….