By The Cruise Web, Inc.
The specialty cruise line has recently announced their multi-million and multi-year plan to invest in and expand their three Star Class vessels. This initiative that Windstar Cruises is undertaking will greatly impact the guests’ onboard experience in exciting ways. The updated ships will have an elegant yet modern design, and will be expanded to include 50 new suites, plus all new dining and spa experiences.
“We are thrilled to announce the $250 Million Star Plus Initiative, a significant investment in the future of Windstar Cruises. This exciting initiative is our 180 degree from ordinary solution to add new capacity and major enhancements to the guest experience in a very time efficient manner,” said Windstar President John Delaney. “The initiative not only creates beautiful new suites and public spaces, but we will also take the opportunity to re-engine the ships with a more fuel efficient and environmentally responsible propulsion system. This will be a true game changer for Windstar and our small ship cruise experience.”
Once the lengthening is completed, guest accommodations on the boutique line’s three all-suite vessels will increase in capacity from 212 passengers to 312 guests per ship—creating a 24% increase in the line’s total capacity. The construction to the Star Breeze, Star Legend, and Star Pride is to set to be underway between October 2019 and November 2020, and is to take place at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Palermo, Sicily, Italy.
This expansion will still leave the vessels the right size to access the smaller ports and harbors that Windstar prefers when sailing on their immersive and expansive itineraries. Each Star Class ship will be cut and a new section installed, lengthening the vessel approximately 25.6 meters, making the new total length just over 159 meters. With a new total of 156 suites, this represents an investment of more than $267,000 per passenger berth.
“This major investment is an efficient way to build on a winning brand that shows strong momentum and growth potential. Support for this exciting new initiative demonstrates our commitment to Windstar as an important part of the Xanterra portfolio,” said Andrew N. Todd, President and CEO of Xanterra Travel Collection.
Windstar has partnered with acclaimed designer Ray Chung, Director of Design at The Johnson Studio at Cooper Carry in New York, to create modern and inspiring spaces. Here is a sampling of what to expect when aboard:
- 50 new suites featuring open floor plans and all new suite categories and configurations.
- Two brand new, expansive Owner’s Suites, which can be combined to create up to a three-bedroom, two-balcony suite – the first of its kind in the cruise industry.
- Two brand new dining experiences: an intimate, alternative dining restaurant, and a casual barbecue space adjacent to the top deck’s Star Bar.
- The Veranda Restaurant will now offer significantly more ocean-view seating and an upgraded dining area.
- Existing suites get all-new bathrooms and installation of new sliding doors for the Balcony Suites.
- Larger pool and hot tub that will be reconfigured and elevated offering outstanding views, along with more outdoor deck area for relaxing and sun-bathing.
- A totally re-imagined and expanded spa and fitness center.
- A new elevator mid-ship, for even easier access to all decks.
- A new and comfortable tender loading area located mid-ship and two new 90-passenger tenders that will transfer guests directly to port.
As the new $250-million dollar Star Plus Initiative gets underway in 2019, more details will be revealed.
For more information about Windstar Cruises, please call The Cruise Web today at 1-800-377-9383 to speak with an expert cruise consultant.
The Cruise Web, Inc.