Surprise, surprise – cruise lines are introducing even more cruise ships in 2016! Among the new ships debuting next year you’ll find everything from intimate luxury vessels to action-packed resorts at sea. Continue below to preview six of the most hotly anticipated new cruise ships for 2016, in order of their inaugural dates:
Viking Sea (Viking Ocean Cruises)
Inaugural Cruise: April 3, 2016
Passenger Capacity: 930
Building upon the success of the Viking Star, Viking Oceans Cruises will debut the equally stunning Viking Sea in the spring of 2016. This state-of-the-art ship will merge the amenities and comforts of ocean-cruising with Viking’s award-winning destination-driven river cruising experience.
From the moment you step into the Atrium, you’ll be able to tell that there’s something special about the Viking Sea. Relax on deck with the perfect book, chosen from the Viking Sea’s extensive onboard selection, or head inside for a calming spa treatment and cup of tea. When you’re hungry, you’ll enjoy fresh cuisine prepared with local ingredients, with the option to dine al fresco at the Aquavit Terrace.
- Explorers’ Lounge: This sophisticated hotspot is where guests will convene to share their most memorable experiences after a day of in-depth exploration. The Explorers’ Lounge features a stunning lounge surrounded by two-story panoramic views. Let the live piano music set the mood while you enjoy the delicious fare from Mamsen’s deli, along with a regional wine or craft beer.
- Wintergarden: The Viking Sea’s Scandinavian-influenced Wintergarden is the ultimate retreat. Enjoy an afternoon tea with pastries while recharging in this open space surrounding the main pool.
- Pools: Gaze into the sunset while you soak in the glass-walled Infinity Pool cantilevered off the Viking Sea’s stern. The Main Pool onboard features a retractable roof so the weather won’t interfere with your valuable pool time! On those especially beautiful nights, you can even enjoy a movie under the starlit sky.
- Spa & Snow Grotto: The onboard spa utilizes centuries of Nordic holistic wellness practices to provide stimulating and therapeutic treatments for guests. Visit the chilly Snow Grotto to sit underneath lightly falling snowflakes, then heat things up with a trip to the sauna.
When the Viking Sea debuts in April of 2016, she’ll be sailing a variety of European itineraries ranging from 8 to 50 days in length. The Viking Sea is now available to book; contact one of our experienced consultants at 1-800-377-9383 to sail aboard Viking Cruises’ next ocean ship.
ms Koningsdam (Holland America Line)
Inaugural Cruise: April 8, 2016
Passenger Capacity: 2,650
The Koningsdam will be Holland America’s first ship in six years, but it looks as though she will have been worth the wait when she debuts next April. The line’s next premium ship will feature many of the signature amenities that keep guests coming back cruise after cruise, but she’ll also mark the debut of several new concepts, including new stateroom types, entertainment venues and restaurants.
The design team behind the Koningsdam intends to breathe new energy into the ship with additional specialty restaurants, an updated Culinary Arts Center and the foot-tapping musical entertainment of the Music Walk. Foremost among these broad music venues are the Lincoln Center Stage, Billboard Onboard and B.B. King’s Blues Club.
- Lincoln Center Stage: A special partnership with the Lincoln Center will put the spotlight on classical music, with multiple evening performances and open afternoon recitals.
- Culinary Arts Center: The Koningsdam will feature a dedicated Culinary Arts Center presented by Food & Wine magazine. Guests can take advantage of this state-of-the-art facility with cooking classes, professional demonstrations, youth classes and more.
- World Stage: The Koningsdam’s World Stage will be a theater like no other. Using multiple stage configurations and a 270-degree LED screen, this innovative new theater experience will present a variety of engaging productions.
- Family Ocean-view Staterooms: Holland America will introduce a completely new stateroom type tailored for families. With space for up to five guests, these Family Ocean-view Staterooms include two separate showers, beside USB ports and additional closet space.
When the ms Koningsdam debuts in April 2016, she’ll sail a series of Northern European voyages before coming to the United States in November. Then, from her new homeport in Ft. Lauderdale, she’ll sail various 4- to 21-day Caribbean cruises until March 2017. Holland America’s ms Koningsdam is already available to book; contact one of our cruise experts at 1-800-377-9383 to sail aboard Holland America Line’s latest premium ship.
Ovation of the Seas (Royal Caribbean)
Inaugural Cruise: April 17, 2016
Passenger Capacity: 4,180
The third ship in Royal Caribbean’s high-tech Quantum class, the Ovation of the Seas brings another impressive activity-filled ship to the line’s growing fleet. The Ovation of the Seas will feature many of the venues and attractions as the two sister ships that preceded her, including the RipCord skydiving simulator, North Star observation capsule, SeaPlex multipurpose room, FlowRider surfing simulator and Two70 entertainment theater.
The Ovation of the Seas will also feature Dynamic Dining so guests will have more dining options, along with more flexibility when choosing how to enjoy them. After what’s sure to be an exhausting and fun-filled day, guests will be able to return to a number of updated staterooms, now featuring family-friendly modular cabins and interior rooms with virtual balconies.
- RipCord by iFLY: This heart-pounding skydiving simulator also makes its way onto the Ovation of the Seas. Step into the wind chamber and experience the rush of free falling while fellow passengers enjoy the show.
- North Star: This mechanical observation capsule lifts guests high above the Ovation of the Seas for breathtaking views 300 feet above sea level. For each ride, which usually lasts 10- to 15-minutes, the North Star capsule will hold 14 guests.
- SeaPlex: The multipurpose SeaPlex offers a variety of activities for all ages, from bumper cars and circus school to basketball courts and roller skating rink. A DJ positioned in an overhead pod keeps the music pumping so the fun never stops.
- Two70: For innovative entertainment, look no further than Two70 – the transformative theater that combines video effects, robotics and skilled human performances for a show you’ll never forget. This multi-level room also features the Café @ Two70, so you can dine while enjoying panoramic floor-to-ceiling views.
Royal Caribbean’s Ovation of the Seas will debut in Southampton, England with a few European voyages before cruising her way towards India, Southeast Asia and Australia. The Ovation of the Seas is open for bookings; contact our cruise consultants at 1-800-377-9383 to experience Royal Caribbean’s next cruising marvel.
Carnival Vista (Carnival Cruise Lines)
Inaugural Cruise: May 1, 2016
Passenger Capacity: 3,936
The Carnival Vista turns the ‘Fun’ factor up another notch with a plethora of new features, from the updated RedFrog Pub (now with microbrews) to the expanded adults-only Serenity Retreat (with a private salad station). Ok, but what about the kids? The WaterWorks aqua park is working overtime to provide fun for all. You’ll have a giant splash bucket, water toys, SplashZone and, of course, waterslides!
Carnival is also introducing several new staterooms aboard the Vista. The new Family Harbor staterooms, for example, feature exclusive access to the Family Harbor Lounge with concierge service, board games, family movies and more. The Vista’s Cloud 9 Spa staterooms include priority spa reservations, access to the thermal suites, free fitness classes and additional health-centric perks.
- SportSquare & SkyRide: An elaborate SportSquare provides hours of daily entertainment with a ropes course, basketball court, putting green, arcade, table tennis and more. Plus, you can ride to new heights with the SkyRide bike course suspended above the sports deck.
- IMAX & 3D Theaters: Carnival Vista features a Multiplex with the first IMAX Theater at sea. Enjoy a larger-than-life feature, then head next door to the Thrill Theater for a 3D movie experience where the movies really come to life!
- Havana Staterooms & Suites: With the Havana staterooms, Carnival has created a separate island resort within a resort. Guests in Havana Suites enjoy a larger outdoor lounging area, rain shower and hammock. Havana staterooms also include premium access to the Havana pool, bar and club. Speaking of which…
- Havana Bar & Pool: Enjoy a cool drink paired with a hot Cuban sandwich while lounging poolside at the Havana Bar & Pool. At night, the area turns up the heat as it transitions into a dance club.
The Carnival Vista will debut in Europe and remain there until October, when she’ll cross the Atlantic to start a lengthy stay in the Caribbean. The Carnival Vista is now available to book; contact our experienced cruise agents at 1-800-377-9383 to plan a fun vacation aboard Carnival’s next ship.
Harmony of the Seas (Royal Caribbean)
Inaugural Cruise: May 29, 2016
Passenger Capacity: 5,400
The Harmony of the Seas will join the Oasis class of Royal Caribbean ships in the spring of 2016. Her staterooms will range from interior rooms with Virtual Balconies to luxurious Royal Suites, some with balconies overlooking the AquaTheater. No matter where you stay, getting around the ship is easy with Royal Caribbean’s optional RFID WOWband wristbands.
Work up a sweat in the onboard Fitness Center, recharge at the Vitality Spa and refuel at the many onboard dining options. Afterwards, wash it all down with a perfectly prepared cocktail made by robots at the Bionic Bar. Looking for more adventure? Reach new heights with two rock climbing walls, or strap in for a zipline ride 120 feet above the Boardwalk.
Being in the Oasis class, Harmony of the Seas will include a Central Park neighborhood with dining, shopping and ample green space. Just a short stroll away you’ll find the Boardwalk with its tasty treats, fun games and carousel ride. Plus, you can take advantage of the VOOM High Speed Internet to share the highlights of your trip in real time!
- AquaTheater: Watch amazing high dive and water dancing performances from the open-air AquaTheater located at the stern of Harmony of the Seas.
- Pool & Sports Zone: The incredible Sports Zone area features multiple waterslides and a breathtaking new 10-story plunge, Ultimate Abyss. You can even race your friends in side-by-side waterslides! Of course, you’ll also have dual FlowRiders for even more surf-simulator fun!
- Solarium: Royal Caribbean’s popular adults-only retreat features even more room for relaxing aboard the Harmony of the Seas. Soak in one of the whirlpools, take a dip in the spacious indoor pool or bask in the sun.
- Studio B Ice Rink: Take a break from the sun with an entertaining display of expert ice skating and stunning choreography at the Studio B ice rink. Guests can also borrow skates during the ice rink’s open ice sessions.
- Splashaway Bay: The Splashaway Bay kids aqua park offers fun for all ages with a drench bucket, water cannons, pools and more. This incredible water park will be Royal Caribbean’s biggest yet!
Royal Caribbean’s Harmony of the Seas will make her premier sailing the Mediterranean from May through October. After a transatlantic crossing in October, the Harmony of the Seas will begin a series of Caribbean cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. The Harmony of the Seas is already available to book; contact our expert cruise consultants at 1-800-377-9383 to book a cruise vacation aboard the record-breaking Harmony of the Seas.
Seven Seas Explorer (Regent Seven Seas Cruises)
Inaugural Cruise: July 20, 2016
Passenger Capacity: 750
When the Seven Seas Explorer debuts in July 2016, she will be the most luxurious ship in the world. No small claim, but a believable one when coming from the all-inclusive Regent Seven Seas Cruises. Her spacious suites feature luxury touches like you’ve never seen, and the elegant public spaces are most inviting. Gather with friends at Explorer or Observation Lounges to discuss the day’s adventures over a cocktail. As live music fills the intimate lounges, you may find yourself doing something you haven’t in a long while – relaxing.
The Seven Seas Explorer will feature popular Regent staples like the onboard casino, pool deck, Card Room and a library full of carefully selected books and destination guides. The day is yours to spend however you wish. For example, you could opt to take full advantage of the comprehensive Fitness Center, which features fitness classes. Others might take a break from their routines and find their own cozy spot on the Pool Deck for a little rest and relaxation.
- Culinary Arts Kitchen: Take your appreciation of the culinary arts to a whole new level with time spent in the state-of-the-art Culinary Arts Kitchen aboard Seven Seas Explorer. Personal workstations feature stainless steel appliances, induction cooktops and all the necessary tools to prepare your own tasty works of art. Guests with all levels of cooking skills will appreciate the hands-on lessons and cooking demonstrations.
- On Deck Recreation: The Seven Seas Explorer may be smaller, but she includes everything you need for an unforgettable cruise vacation, including space for active recreation. The top deck features golf driving nets, a bocce court, table tennis, shuffleboard court and plenty of space to spread out.
The ultra-luxurious Seven Seas Explorer will debut in Europe with a variety of 8- to 14-night Mediterranean voyages. In mid-November she’ll move to Miami to close out the remainder of 2016 from the Caribbean. The Seven Seas Explorer is open for booking and filling up fast; call our luxury cruise experts at 1-800-377-9383 to plan a voyage aboard the most luxurious cruise ship in the world.
With an ever-changing cruise landscape, one thing you can always count on is The Cruise Web. Our experienced consultants are here to guide you towards the right ship to meet your specific budget and style of cruising. For more information about any of these ships, or to start planning your next cruise, contact our experts at 1-800-377-9383.
Which new ship are you most excited about?
The Cruise Web, Inc.