It’s Always Summer on a Cruise Ship
It doesn’t matter if you are cruising to Antarctica in the dead of winter, you can always pretend it’s summer on a cruise ship. If you don’t believe us, here are 10 ways taking a cruise is like a summer day.
1. Ice cream – You can always get a scoop on a cruise, and some of the bigger ships even have self-serve soft serve available 24/7.
2. Water slides – Put on your bathing suit and make a splash as you go down a twisty-twirly slide. Or, if you’re a daredevil, you might want to try a water slide like those on the Norwegian Breakaway and Getaway where you take a huge vertical drop that will send your heart racing to catch up.
3. Tropical drinks – Maybe you prefer a Mai Tai, mojito or a pina colada. No matter what it is, you’ll really enjoy your drink with a mini umbrella or a cherry thrown in for garnish when you set sail into the sunset on your next cruise.
4. Indoor pools – So what if it’s cold outside, you can still go swimming. Many ships have indoor pools so you can pretend you are wading into the Caribbean Sea, even if you are passing by glaciers on your way to Alaska.
5. Food from the grill – You know it’s summer when you go to barbecues and people bust out their grills. On a cruise you can always get a tender and juicy burger from the grill by the pool deck. It’s just a simple treat that brings you back to summer.
6. Go to the movies – Summer is the time when big blockbuster movies come out and on cruise ships you can attend one of these movies at the onboard theater, in the comfort of your cabin or on the pool deck of some ships. Princess Cruises has Movies Under the Stars where at night you can lounge with a bucket of popcorn and watch the latest superhero movie or other popular flick from the last few months.
7. Thermal suites – Want to feel the heat of the summer? We recommend an afternoon at the spa. Many cruise ships have thermal suites and saunas where you’ll warm up and sweat out any built up toxins. It’s also great for your skin.
8. Do a water sport – Ever wanted to go surfing in December? On a Royal Caribbean cruise you can hop on a surfboard on their FlowRider surfing simulator and ‘hang ten’. Other ships offer you the chance to scuba or swim off their built-in marinas.
9. Quality time – Summertime means longer days to spend more time with your friends. For families it means kids are out of school and there is more time spent together going on vacations and getting away from regular life. A cruise gives you the opportunity to be with the ones you love, sharing stories at dinner, hitting the beach together or embarking on an exciting shore excursion. It’s like a mini summer vacation!
10. Fireworks – More and more cruise ships are adding a fireworks show to their sailings. Just like the 4th of July, you can marvel at the amazing spectacle of colored lights exploding into the nights sky on every itinerary of the Norwegian Getaway and the Norwegian Breakaway.
If you’re a big fan of the summer, you’ll definitely enjoy a cruise where it’s always summer on board!