Tips and Tricks on the Norwegian Breakaway

By Erica Kritt, Social Media Coordinator, The Cruise Web, Inc.

How to get the electricity to work.The Norwegian Breakaway was packed with great fun features, but my colleagues and I discovered a lot of intricacies that you just may not know about until you experience the Breakaway in all her glory. Here’s a list of helpful tips to use when you are onboard.

Electricity
I stepped into my cabin and I tried to turn the light on to go to the bathroom, then I tried to turn the TV on, nothing. I called up the front desk to let them know our cabin didn’t have any electricity. They told me all I had to do was put my room key into the silver apparatus by the door (pictured to the right) and all the cabin’s electricity would work. This is a handy little trick that a lot of cruise lines are now utilizing to help save energy. Remember, if you leave any cameras or phones charging, once you take the key out there will be no electricity going through your outlets.Light Switch

Turning Off the Lights
When lying in bed, there is a light switch up against the wall that will turn off all the lights in the stateroom, but not the lights on the sides of the bed. I tried all the light switches in the room before realizing these little bed-side lights have tiny on/off switches on them that blend in very well. Check out the photo to the right for help, especially when you are lying in bed.

Towels
If your stateroom has a sofa, check the drawers underneath for spare towels.

Extra Amenities
It seems that no matter what ship you are on, finding the hair dryer is something of a challenge. On the Breakaway the hair dryers are in a holster underneath the vanity. The vanity also comes with a cushy little seat which can double as a foot rest. On top of the foot rest is a smooth lacquered piece of wood that can be used as a table for breakfast in bed or for a little in room snack from room service.

Hot Dog CartWhere to Eat
The ship is big, so you might have trouble finding a restaurant or bar, especially if that food feature is on wheels. To find the Sabrett hot dog cart head to Spice H20 on the aft of the pool deck. However, there are supposed to be three carts onboard located on the Waterfront, pool deck and forward deck so keep your eyes peeled for the yellow and blue umbrella.

Didn’t get a reservation for a specialty restaurant you’ve been dying to try? Visit the restaurant for a standby reservation. There’s a chance an opening will become available, especially if you arrive early.

Before You Board
Be sure to make as many reservations as possible beforehand. Many of the ships features fill up fast, especially the ice bar, and you want to make sure you can experience all the Norwegian Breakaway has to offer.

Do you have any tips for sailing on the Breakaway?

1 Catherine Serafin { 02.05.15 at 11:52 am }

Are the hairdryers in the cabins on the Breakaway, full size hair dryers like on the Gem? If not then i will have to bring my own…

2 The Cruise Web Team { 02.05.15 at 5:30 pm }

Yes, the hair dryers on the Norwegian Breakaway are full-sized.

3 Rigel { 03.04.15 at 5:18 am }

The hair dryers are not as strong as my 1800 watt dryer at home, but the are fairly nice. BEWARE….if you take your own, or a flat iron & plug them in to the ships outlets, you can blow a fuse! Which means no more power- not even the TV! It took 4-5 calls to finally get someone to come to our stateroom to reset/restore power. Also gave us a strong remark that we should have known better & they expected for it NOT to happen any more..
Also, you may like to know.. When you take your card out of the power supply apparatus, not only will the TV, lights & outlet shut off—-but the power to the fridge goes out. So don’t expect to have anything to stay cold in it!!!
I will sy the water (&nice) is absolutely wonderful!!!!! (I am a water snob!) It made basic bottle water taste bitter after the cruise was over. So no need to worry about taking your own bottled water! Hope the info is of some good use. Enjoy your cruise!⛵️

4 Laura { 01.05.16 at 9:12 pm }

What type of coffee pot or maker in in the staterooms?

5 The Cruise Web Team { 01.06.16 at 9:06 am }

All Balcony and higher category staterooms have one-cup coffee makers that use pods, and Suites each have a Lavazza Coffee espresso/cappuccino machine. While there aren’t coffee makers in the Inside and Oceanview staterooms, guests with those accommodations can order from room service.

6 Alex { 01.15.16 at 1:18 pm }

When staying in the Studio rooms, some of the switches and thermostat device have LED lights that seem to be a distraction when I am trying to sleep. I happened to bring a few post-it notes and covered the LED lights on these switches with double sheets and it was enough to dim the lighting effect. If you are sensitive to light, I would recommend bring a small pad of dark colored post-it notes.

7 The Cruise Web Team { 01.15.16 at 5:03 pm }

Alex, thanks for the tip!

8 Tammy { 01.15.16 at 5:00 pm }

How do you make reservations for the ice bar before you get on the ship?

9 The Cruise Web Team { 01.15.16 at 5:07 pm }

Tammy, great question. Guests can’t make Ice Bar reservations prior to sailing, so we recommend visiting the Ice Bar soon after boarding so you’re most likely to get your desired time slot.

10 Alex { 01.26.16 at 9:03 pm }

When can I make spa reservations, can I do it before I board the ship?

11 Gib L. - The Cruise Web { 01.27.16 at 4:23 pm }

Alex, you can make spa reservations on the Norwegian Breakaway 90 days prior to sailing.

Gib Lepper, Cruise Consultant
240-487-0155 x 413
gibl@cruiseweb.com

12 Cheryl { 02.28.16 at 10:55 pm }

We are traveling with a party of 15, but 3 different families. We are getting free specialty dining and want to make reservations for all of us to dine together . I was told 1 person needs to make the reservations and gets charged for all 15 until the night of the seating ?

13 The Cruise Web Team { 02.29.16 at 3:37 pm }

Hi Cheryl,

Someone from your party should email specialeventsbreakaway@ncl.com stating the number of people, name of the restaurant you want, the day and time. They will need to include the names and reservation numbers, and also indicate that they have the dining package. They can also call 1-800-327-7030 between 8am-7pm to reserve over the phone.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

14 Cheryl { 02.29.16 at 8:36 pm }

15 sharmaine Broodryk { 04.04.16 at 3:47 am }

my son turns 14 on the cruise can we arrange something special?

16 Jessica Wilson - The Cruise Web { 04.06.16 at 10:55 am }

Sharmaine, I definitely can arrange something special for your son’s 14th birthday! Although I haven’t had any luck reaching you, I will surely keep trying so that we can arrange something to make this birthday celebration special! My direct number is 1 (800) 377-9383 ext.239. I am looking forward to speaking with you.

17 Carol Szymendera { 04.13.16 at 8:56 am }

i have two questions. First of all, my husband needs distilled water for his CPAP machine. How do we get it on board? Also, does the card in the power slot need a magnetic strip? We always use old hotel cards so we don’t close the door with our key card in it. I think lifting the card out when you leave the room is a great energy saving practice!

18 The Cruise Web Team { 04.13.16 at 9:22 am }

Hi Carol, thank you for your questions.

Here is Norwegian Cruise Line’s response regarding your request for distilled water: “Distilled water is only available upon request prior to the cruise with at least two weeks notice. A request must be received by the Access Desk no later than 14 days prior to the sailing (in writing). The guest has to advise the exact amount needed for the duration of the cruise.”

As for your second question, any card should work because the power is actually triggered by a little button in the bottom of the card slot. So if you have any old key card (magnetic or otherwise), that should do the trick.

19 Carol Szymendera { 04.13.16 at 6:00 pm }

Thank you so much! Your answers are great! What about the port of New York? If we drive our own private car, can we drop off our luggage with porters. When I look at the port’s website, it appears that those of us in private cars need to go directly to the parking lot and manage all of our luggage, not just the carry on. How can this be? If it is true, we will be looking for a car service. Thanks in advance.

20 Sharon Tagoe - The Cruise Web { 04.14.16 at 1:59 pm }

Hi Carol,

There is a passenger drop off section prior to entering the parking lot; otherwise, there is a large cargo elevator from the parking garage into the terminal, there is no shuttle from the parking structure to the terminal building as they are attached.

Hope this was helpful.

~ Sharon

21 Annie { 04.27.16 at 12:42 am }

Ive read about an 80s theme party as well as a white party happening on the cruise but cannot confirm. We sail on May 22nd. Any ideas so we may be prepared?

22 The Cruise Web Team { 04.27.16 at 9:13 am }

Hi Annie,

For the Norwegian Breakaway, the White Party has been replaced with a H2Glow Party. This still features a great DJ and isn’t all that much different, but guests are now provided with glow sticks and encouraged to wear neon colors (or white). The Norwegian Breakaway also features 80s Themed Parties on every sailing, but of course the final entertainment schedule is up to the onboard cruise director.

Whatever the final entertainment ends up being, I’m sure you’ll have a great time! Give us a call at 1-800-377-9383 if you have any more questions, or need help planning future cruise vacations.

23 Kathleen { 04.30.16 at 4:13 pm }

I’m going on the Breakaway in July. Can I make reservations for speciality dining and shows prior to the departure day?

Also, Can I bring soda, water, or wine on the ship?

24 The Cruise Web Team { 05.03.16 at 4:52 pm }

Kathleen,

About 90 days prior to your sail date (so now if you’re sailing in July), you should be able to make online reservations for both specialty dining and shows.

You are welcome to bring your own water and soda, as well as juice and other non-alcoholic beverages. As for wine, there is no limit, but you will be charged a corkage fee per bottle based on the size of the bottle: $15 USD for 750 ml, $20 USD for 1,000 ml, and $30 for 1,500 ml.

Please contact us at 1-800-377-9383 for help making the most of your upcoming Norwegian cruise.

25 Sharee brazer { 05.13.16 at 10:03 pm }

Is there anything special besides dinner, that I can set up for my boyfriend’s birthday? We are sailing from May 15th-May 22nd. His birthday is on the 21st of May.

26 The Cruise Web Team { 05.16.16 at 7:42 am }

Hi Sharee,

Norwegian Cruise Line has several onboard packages available for purchase, including a birthday package for $35 with garland, confetti, balloons and a 10″ party cake. The decorations can be set up in your stateroom on your requested date, and the cake has “Happy Birthday” written on it. They’ll also provide cutlery, plates and napkins for all guests in stateroom.

You can also purchase spa packages, various romance packages or gourmet treats like wine, chocolate-covered strawberries, cheese plates and fruit. For assistance purchasing gifts, please call 1-800-377-9383.

27 Maryam { 07.25.16 at 2:31 pm }

Hi,
I am booking an all inclusive with Normegian Breakaway.
I am travelling with a 6 year old. My question is weather there is snack bar on the ship between lunch- dinner or breakfast-lunch? to grab a bite? Is this included in our package or not? Is bottled water always available or should be purchase? How does it work?
Is Tap water drinkable?

28 The Cruise Web Team { 07.28.16 at 3:47 pm }

Hi Maryam,

I’d love to help! Send me an email at sharont@cruiseweb.com, or call me at 1-800-377-9383 x 420 at your earliest convenience.

Sharon T.
Cruise Consultant | The Cruise Web

29 nicole { 08.13.16 at 11:50 am }

Hi, we booked our first cruise ever this March 2017. We have an inside room I’m thinking about upgrading to a balcony room. 1. How do I do that and 2. Do you suggest a better floor or side of the breakaway? My husband is against it because he doesn’t want to spend the money but I hear it is worth it.

30 The Cruise Web Team { 08.15.16 at 9:00 am }

Hi Nicole,

Congratulations on booking your first cruise! To discuss the possibility of upgrading your cabin, as well as the advantages of particular stateroom locations, please give us a call at 1-800-377-9383. This will allow us to learn more about what you and your husband are looking for to provide the best advice specific to you and this cruise.

31 Betty Reeder { 08.23.16 at 4:30 pm }

When will my on board account be available for final viewing prior to departure?

32 The Cruise Web Team { 08.23.16 at 4:46 pm }

Hi Betty,

The night before disembarkation, your account statement will be delivered to your stateroom. Questions regarding any discrepancies should be settled at the onboard reception prior to leaving the ship. We recommend doing so at your earliest convenience to avoid delays during disembarkation.

33 Barbara { 09.24.16 at 7:57 pm }

I just booked my first ever cruise for April. I am finding these questions and comments helpful. I booked a solo cabin and am wondering about bottled water. I understand that it is not included in any bev package. There is no refrig so I guess I can buy a couple bottles at a time and put them in the ice bucket.

34 The Cruise Web Team { 09.27.16 at 3:57 pm }

Hi Barbara,

Congrats on booking your first cruise! You are correct that Studio stateroom don’t include a mini-fridge, but guests often make good use of the ice buckets. The Studio Lounge does provide filtered drinking water, so you can re-fill your own bottle whenever you want, or you can pre-purchase a 6-pack of 1-liter water bottles for $23, which offers some savings compared to buying onboard. For any other questions, you can contact me directly at 1-800-377-9383 x 358, or via email at andrel@cruiseweb.com

Thanks,