A Nutritious Salad from Oceania
Courtesy of Oceania Cruises.
Oceania Cruises prides itself on having some of the best chefs and dishes sailing the seven seas. In fact, the deluxe line is home to the only restaurants that bear Jacques Pepin’s name. The famed French chef serves as the culinary inspiration for all of Oceania, working with the ships’ chefs to develop menus and demo dishes.
Here is a recipe for one of the expertly constructed dishes that is available on board. Bon appetite!
Salad: Spring Greens with Orange, Fennel, Manchego and Macadamia Vinaigrette
Serves 4 to 6 people
- 1-Large Fennel Bulb
- 24-raw Macadamia nuts (cut in half)
- 2- oranges
- 12-cups mixed baby greens
- 5-ounces of Manchego Cheese
- 6-to-12- springs of chervil
- 1- tbs finely chopped shallot
- 2.5-tbs lemon juice
- .5- cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
1. Discard the fronds and stalks of the Fennel. Cut the bulb in half and peel of and discard the tough outer layer along with the core.
2. Cut the remaining bulb into thin slices using a mandolin. Place these slices in a bowl of ice water for 30 min.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spread the macadamia nut halves on a sheet and toast until golden (should be about 10 min.)
4. Cut the oranges into slices.
5. For the Vinaigrette: Take 12 of the macadamia nut halves and chop them and combine with the shallots and lemon juice in a small bowl. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
6. Remove the fennel slices from the ice water and pat dry with towels.
7. Place the mixed baby greens in a bowl and toss with the vinaigrette.
8. Place the fennel in a bowl and toss with the vinaigrette.
9. Put the fennel and oranges in with the greens add the macadamia halves on top. With a vegetable peeler cut slices of the cheese and garnish with 1 or 2 chervil springs per dish.