Recipe for Fruit Soup from Holland America
By Erica Kritt, Social Media Coordinator, The Cruise Web, Inc.
When I think of summer on a cruise, I immediately think of fruit soup. On nearly every cruise I’ve taken there has been a selection of creamy, sweet fruit soups. I remember that on my first cruise they were served at the buffet and my mother and I quickly became obsessed.
If you aren’t familiar with these fruit soups served on several cruises, they’re like milkshakes you eat with a spoon. These creamy concoctions can be made with virtually any fruit. I’ve had them with cherry and peach and pineapple. For this recipe I chose to use bananas and I found a super simple recipe courtesy of Holland America, and I found that not only is this dish quick and easy, it’s something you can easily put your own twist on by trying different ingredient combinations.
This is a dish that can be served as a soup, but you could also make this into a very fun milkshake or summer dessert.
- 3 bananas
- 10 oz. of vanilla ice cream
- 10 oz. of milk
- 1 tbsp. clover honey
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 1 splash Galliano liqueur
- 1 splash medium or dry white wine
- Cut the bananas into chunks.
- Puree the bananas until they are liquid like.
- In an electric mixer, mix the ice cream on low until it is soft, then add in the milk.
- Whisk in the banana puree, then add the honey, nutmeg, Galliano, wine and stir.
- Serve in a chilled glass or bowl.
I was able to whip this up in less than five minutes, so it would be great for parties. Next time I think I’d like to try some combinations like banana and pineapple or coconut. Perhaps I might be daring and try peach with avocado. What kind of combination would you choose?