Seven Steps to Cruise Sainthood
Now that we have uncovered all the “sinful” behaviors many cruisers indulge in during their vacations, here are some tips on how to have a good time, while keeping those sins at the dock. This post will tell you how to avoid each “sin,” but of course it’s your vacation, so don’t do anything that wouldn’t make you happy.
Sloth – Just because you are on a ship does not mean you are in cramped quarters. There is plenty of space to move around, so get up out of bed and get moving cause there are a lot of things to see and do on your vacation.
- Go for a climb at the rock wall. Many ships have rock-climbing walls where you not only get a great workout, but a fantastic view.
- Shake your bon-bon. Cruise lines offer a wide array of body moving dance opportunities, like Zumba classes at the gym, Salsa lessons from the ship’s staff, and at night you can freestyle it at the ship’s club.
- See the sights. When you are in port, get out and see the city or town you are in on a walking tour or scenic hike. Just remember to bring your camera.
Greed – “Sharing is caring” is one of our favorite life mottos. Next time you get carried away at the casino or hoard all the ship’s bath towels in your suitcase, remember that motto. You can also do the following:
- Be respectful of those around you. Your friends or spouse won’t have as great a time if you only care about money.
- When you are at the casino, remember that one false move could leave you without any spending money for the rest of your trip, so set a limit before you get swept away. And make sure to pace yourself and socialize so you actually enjoy the gaming experience – don’t just focus on making money.
- If the diamonds and jewelry at the ship’s shops give you an itch, think of all the gifts you can get for your friends and family back at home.
Wrath – It’s really hard to get mad when you’re on a beautiful vacation that you’ve dreamt about for months or years, but if you do find yourself getting worked up, just follow these steps:
- Take a breath. Think about where you are and what might be getting you mad before you react.
- Ask for help. If something isn’t working out the way it should, simply find your stateroom attendant, call your waiter or visit the onboard service desk and explain your situation. You’ll find there is usually someone who can ameliorate any trouble.
- Blow off steam at the pool, have the wrath massaged out of your back at the spa and improve your mood with any one of the ship’s countless onboard activities.
- Try the spa menu. Several ships have a restaurant or menu options where lighter fare is the main affair. For instance, Blu on Celebrity Cruises offers beautiful dishes like Blackened Ahi Tuna, which will fill you up with flavor and nutrients.
- Choose one indulgence for the day. Cruise lines are all about giving you options. Instead of having dessert with breakfast, lunch and dinner, you could choose to have one treat per day, and fill up on the healthy and savory flavors, which will make dessert that much sweeter.
- Be adventurous. Cruises are a great place to try a new dish. For instance, if you just don’t think sushi is for you, try it out. If you are afraid it won’t fill you up or you won’t like it, you can always order something else.
Envy – If you peek into a suite and see something you like, it’s hard not to feel a little pang of jealousy. The best way to curb your envy is to prepare.
- Work with a qualified cruise consultant at The Cruise Web who can help you get the best bang for your cruise buck.
- Think about exactly what you want out of a cruise. Which aspects of cruising are most important to you? Do you want a big room? Do you want a port-intensive itinerary? Do you want to be able to go to a Broadway show at sea? Knowing your priorities ahead of time and working with an expert cruise consultant will help you find your perfect cruise vacation.
- If all else fails, make friends with the people in the better stateroom and invite yourself over.
Pride – Instead of walking around like the king or queen of your ship, make sure to share your good fortune with your friends and family. That way you can enjoy their company on cruises in the future.
- If you received unbeatable service or a great deal on a cruise from your Cruise Web cruise consultant, humbly share your story with friends and let them know that they can get great deals and custom cruise vacation plans if they too work with the expert cruise consultants at The Cruise Web.
- While onboard, if you do win any contests, remember to acknowledge your opponents, and thank them. After all, without their participation, you would have never won.
- Now, if you feel the need to burst with how great a vacation you had, remember that your cruise consultant is just a phone call away, and they’d love to hear from you.
Lust – Surely you can take advantage of the romance of a cruise – just remember to maintain a sense of decorum in the ship’s public spaces and save your passion for your stateroom. Onboard there are a number of romantic things to see and do, so do take advantage.
- Sip a flute of champagne and gaze out over the beautiful ocean sunset.
- Have an intimate evening with your loved one with a candlelit dinner on your balcony.
- Arrange for a wine tasting with the ship’s sommelier.
- Already a member of the Mile High Club? As long as you’re in your stateroom, there’s no shame in joining the “Naughty Nautical Club” too.
Have we tamed your sinful ways? Are you now a reformed cruiser? Remember, all that matters on a cruise is that you and your shipmates have a safe and fun vacation. Whether you commit a sin or stay on the saintly side, it’s all about having a cruise vacation that will provide you with fun, relaxation and great memories.