Chilled Asparagus Salad from Azamara
We’ve found the perfect spring dish. It’s savory, yet sweet. It’s filling, yet light. There’s one catch, it’s only available on Azamara Club Cruises. Lucky for you, we were able to get the culinary team to share their recipe, but we have to say to really experience this dish you need to try it on board the Azamara Journey or Quest.
Ingredients for 10 servings:
- 50 each peeled green asparagus spears, size large
- sugar, as needed
- lemon juice, as needed
- olive oil, as needed
- 1 cup fresh orange juice, and zest the skin
- .5 cup fresh lemon juice, and zest the skin
- 3 egg yolks
- 1.5 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cups salad oil
- 12 whole eggs
- 1 loaf of of brioche, cooked with chopped chives in it
- .5 cup chives, minced
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 2 ounces caviar
- After the asparagus are peeled, tie them in bunches using kitchen twine. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the green asparagus until tender.
- Once tender, immediately remove from the salted water and shock until chilled in an ice bath. Untie the bundles and trim the spears to the same length.
- For the citrus aioli: Blanch the zest, shock it in an ice bath, and dry.
- Combine the juices in a small pot and allow the juice to reduce over low heat until all that remains is 1/4 cup. Chill this thoroughly.
- Once the reduced juice is chilled, combine it with the egg yolks, mustard and some salt in a bowl.
- Slowly drizzle in the salad oil making sure to keep the emulsion. Once all of the oil is incorporated, pulse in the zest until well combined.
- For the egg mimosa: Place the whole eggs in a medium sized pot and cover by 1 inch with cold water. Allow the water to come up to a rolling boil, and then immediately cover and remove from the heat. Allow the eggs to steep in the hot water for 12 minutes. Then run the eggs under cold water or an ice bath to cool them down.
- Immediately shell the eggs. Rub the yolks through a fine strainer.
- For the chive melba: Brush the outside of a slice of chive brioche with butter. Using a cookie cutter, cut out 2-inch discs from the bread. Bake 10 discs in the oven until golden brown and crisp.
For plating: Toss 5 spears each of green asparagus with lemon juice, olive oil and salt. Line up the asparagus on top of the plate as per picture. With the citrus aioli in a squeeze bottle, paint the plate with a few lines in the space around the asparagus. Top the asparagus with the egg mimosa and a chive melba. Spoon a small scoop of caviar near the base of the egg mimosa and garnish with chive.
We’re dying to know what you think of the dish. Did you like it?