How to Eat on a Cruise

By The Cruise Web, Inc.

Cruise DiningFood… cruising… food… cruising… food… cruising. Everyone associates cruising with food. “Oh my, I ate so much on my cruise.” “I gained 5 pounds on my cruise.” “When I moved from the front to the back of the ship I think I felt the ship tip a bit.” There is always an abundance of food choices on a cruise.  From the vast breakfast buffets to the elegant gourmet dinners, a cruiser is faced with an endless parade of goodies!! Fear not, you can enjoy it all and NOT gain weight.

As a recently diagnosed diabetic, I was even more weight conscious and concerned that maybe I wouldn’t be able to enjoy a cruise like I had before. How couPastald I? Well, a month after I was diagnosed I went on a seven day Western Caribbean cruise. Here is a partial list of the foods I ate:  Eggs, sausage, bagels, pizza, burgers, prime rib, ravioli, lobster, crab cakes, cheesecake, chocolate mousse, ice cream. Reads good, huh? It was. How was I able to enjoy all that and NOT gain weight? I am glad I asked.

It’s all about portion control, eating often and exercising. Portion control is easy. You control that at the buffets. Simply divide your plate up into thirds: meat, carbs, veggies. Done. AFitness Centert dinner, the food is gourmet and portioned just right – so that one’s easy. There are always low fat choices. And there are always low-sugar choices for desserts. Eating often is also not a difficult thing to do. There is always something to eat, so having smaller meals with snacks in between is easy. Exercising choices are plentiful as well. From walking on the deck to working out in the fitness center, you are always moving. And at the very least, instead of walking, JOG to the breakfast buffet! haha

Be disciplined and conscientious and you will be a happy camper… er… cruiser!!

1 asiba-the buffalo soldier { 12.16.09 at 2:11 pm }

YEAH YEAH
I agrew (agree)

You can eat and eat but not gain a pound !

2 Heather { 12.16.09 at 9:57 pm }

wow, good for you John! that is so impressive! to help combat the food, we always take the stairs…it’s tough on those larger ships, deck 4 to 13 is quite a hike!

3 Pauline Helle { 12.17.09 at 11:58 am }

I did not gain any weight on our cruise the Eastern Europeon on the Brilliance of the Seas,I did not stop eating and just ate what I wanted.We did have a really good time aswell as the food.I am unable to execise as I am a paraplegic,so do not know how I did not put it on.

4 suzanne { 12.21.09 at 10:33 am }

I went on a cruise and lost 4lbs not even trying! My son was amazed because I was laying in the sun and doing nothing!! You are right, the secret is to eat as healthily as you can, its all prepared for you – so enjoy it. The danger zone is piling high all the bad choices, but a few chips or a pudding every now and then wont hurt if its offset by the fresh food !!

5 Liz Peters { 12.25.09 at 8:14 pm }

Good for you John! Exercise is the key word when you are on a cruise, not that it is not important anytime. Its great to workout on a machine and be able to look out at the ocean. The ocean has a very calming effect, it puts you in your own zone

6 Paulie { 05.20.10 at 4:10 pm }

You can. While dieting once (nutrisystem) I took a cruise and LOST 5lbs (apparently unheard of by my diet counselor). How was it possible (and believe me I did not pass up one meal or a drink) was portion control. I ate everything, just less of it than I normally would. Never felt like I missed a thing. Now if only I could have kept that up all these years (lol). Anyway, it is possible and with so much food so often and already prepared for you, it’s actually easier to have those 6 (or 8 or 12) *small* meals per day on a cruise.